Welcome

Please feel free to leave questions, comments, or suggestions in a comment box under the recipe in question. I will be checking every so often, so I will answer any questions that you have. Thanks for checking it out.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pupusas con Repollo (the Lazy Way)

Ever had a tortilla with cole slaw on it? Me neither, at least, not till today. This is one of the most satisfying meals that I've ever had. It must be something about the combination of beans and corn. They were just meant to be together. If you've never worked with masa because of fear, fear no more! It takes only a little experience to get it just right. I have that tiny bit, thanks to Cindy!

Follow the basic directions on the masa bag to make one batch of masa. The texture should be fairly dry, but wet enough to work with in your hands. Test it like this: take a small ball and smash it in your hand. If it cracks, add a tiny bit of water to your masa. If it's completely stuck to your hand, add a little more masa to make it drier. It takes a little bit of figuring out, but it's not hard.

Filling:

1/2 lb. ground sausage, browned
2 c. black beans
queso fresco (or shredded mozzarella) - optional

Mix all the filling ingredients together.

Making pupusas the traditional way is a pain. Masa can dry out pretty quickly in your hands. I like to use a sheet of wax paper (or plastic wrap). A tortilla press would be better, but I don't have one. Roll out two thin, tortilla-sized circles. Generously top one with the filling, leaving just a little bit of space around the edges. Place a second tortilla on top. I like the fold the plastic wrap over and smash the two together. Smash it as flat as possible and seal the edges together with your fingers. It's like making one, giant ravioli.

Cook the pupusas over med-high heat on a griddle or in a pan (no oil needed). They take just a few minutes per side! Top with repollo (half this recipe) and enjoy with a fork (like me) or pick it up like a sandwich (the traditional way). Even if you're a cole slaw hater, try the repollo. I hate cole slaw, and I loved it!


This recipe makes about 5 large pupusas. :)

my vegan version

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have this recipe! This is my absolute favorite food from El Salvador- I always get nostalgic when I get to eat them :). FYI, repollo is the word for cabagge in general. The stuff you put on pupusas is called curtido de repollo.

    ReplyDelete